Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The unpleasant arrival to Charles de Gaule

One word of advice to everyone. DON’T FLY BRITISH AIRWAYS. I have learnt my lesson and I hope you all can learn from my mistakes. My flight from Singapore to London was quite pleasant with Qantas, besides the in flight entertainment not working in the final hours, I managed to get some movies in, sleep for about 7 hours and stare at bland screen for a couple also. I arrived in London, boarded the bus to change terminals and arrived at my departure date, where I waited a bit and was informed that my plane would depart 30 minutes late. FINE! I thought, this didn’t faze me in the least as my flight was scheduled to arrive at 9.40am and the airport pick up the university has arranged wasn’t until 1pm so I had plenty of time. Well that’s what I thought. So we ended up boarding the plane about 1 hour late, but again, I wasn’t worried much as I still had ample time to catch the bus HOWEVER, after we boarded the plane, myself and all the passengers on board were informed that there was ice on the wings which was dangerous, so we had to wait for it to be washed off and then we had to wait for air traffic control to find us another place in the que for departure. Again, still wasn’t that worried but after an hour waiting on the plane and it seriously not going anywhere I started to STRESS. So about 3 and a half hours after its scheduled departure time the plane finally departed. I arrived at about 12.30, which only gave me 30 minutes to get to the bus which was leaving from another terminal. Luckily before I had left I had texted my friend Kate, a student from UniSA who was doing the same program as me in France, and informed her that I would be late. After I arrived I switched on my phone to a message from Kate that read ‘ don’t stress we are waiting for other people to arrive also’. This comforted me a bit as I waited for my luggage to arrive. However after waiting half hour for my luggage to arrive I then went to luggage services to see where my luggage was, I then qued in that line for about half an hour to find out where my luggage was.

Well there was one good part of my story, in front of me was Canadian model and writer, Tara Moss, who I began speaking to and telling my story. After hearing my story her and her husband let me go in front of them. I must say that they both were extremely nice people, and coped with the situation a lot better that me AND she does look EVEN hotER in real life than she does on television or in magazines. Throughout the whole trip she kept her cool, smiled politely and kept combing her fingers across her hair as models do. So BA told me that my luggage was lost, SUPRISE... SUPRISE... I gave them my address in caen where they told me they would send it to me and left to meet Kate, who was waiting for me outside the arrivals gate. I had a look of frustration and anger so the customs guy didn't dare check my carry on. For fear i would be practicing my french sware words. I hurried out the arrivals gate and met Kate. Kate took me to the bus to the terminal where everyone was waiting for me and we left to go to Caen...

1 comment: