Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Singapore - The land of many

Have you ever had that feeling where it has finally dawned on you that there really are over 6 billion people in the world. This fact finally dawned on me when I walked out of the little India MRT sation on a Sunday evening and called see hundreds, if not thousand of Indian men in my sight, as I walked around I saw even more. Some Singaporean friends of mine explained later that Sunday is the day off for all the labourers in Singapore, who are mostly Indian and they all hang out in Little India on this day. Its was SOOOOO Hectic. Sasha and I turned to each other and had the same idea that we really didn’t need to go to India now, because if it was as Hectic as this we just wouldn’t be interested. The thing that surprised us the most was that there was not one Indian woman in site. In traditional Indian culture the woman always stayed home and it was the role of the husband to work and carry out all the chores outside of the house. Sasha and I went shopping at a discount store and we even saw an Indian man buying clothing and bras for his wife. And it wasn’t the sexy lingerie kind either.

It is a land of many contrasts Singapore, You have little India in one part of the island, looking just like India. Chinatown is in another part of the island, filled with Chinese culture, shops and food. And then you can catch the MRT from anyone of these locations and you find yourself in a Cosmopolitan wonderland filled with anything and everything high-tec and new age, filled with all the high-end brands. I think this is what I like the most about Singapore, it fills like you have the intire contenent of Asia all on one small island. I enjoy the cultural aspects that the country has to offer but equally enjoy its modernism, it shopping and its architecture. Another great aspect of Singapore is the people. I have only a few Singaporean friends, but all of them jumped at the chance to show me around and show off the wonderful city which they all seem proud of.
I borded the plane, as I left Singapore with a happy feeling, I was glad I had taken the time out of my trip to see the city and spend time with some friends. Its not everyday you get the opportunity just to pop into Singapore. A feeling of anxiousness also had drawn upon me as I realised my adventures had begun and once I got of the plane again I would be in another amazing land.

No comments:

Post a Comment